ST. PHILIP'S EPISCOPAL SCHOOL HISTORY
St. Philip's Episcopal School was established by action of the Church vestry in 1954. The Rev. John Worrell, then the rector of St. Philip's Church, was the first Headmaster.
The school originally had one small section of kindergarten children who attended class in the parish hall. Music classes were held in a small building in the play yard.
Since then, the school has grown in size, in both its enrollment and physical plant. During the summer of 1980, the present brick structure was constructed for additional classroom space. The James R. Dougherty, Jr. Foundation made a generous grant toward the construction of the 1st grade classroom building in 1983. In the summer of 1992 the Board of Directors of the State Bank and Trust gave St. Philip's a building for 6th grade.
Presently, St. Philip's has three preschool classes, three pre-kinder classes, and one each: kindergarten through fifth grade classes. St. Philip’s Episcopal School is fortunate in having several generous supporters. The Joe Barnhart Foundation, The Dougherty Foundation, The James R. Dougherty Jr. Foundation, Inc., The Dudley T. Dougherty Foundation, Inc. and The Speck & Polly New Foundation provide funds, which help support our school.
During the spring of 1993, a challenge gift of $300,000 from the most generous of school friends, Mrs. Jody Hughes, began a campaign, which raised capital funds for a new school wing, as well as an addition for the existing parish hall. Construction was completed in the spring of 1994 on the building, which houses first through sixth grades, and Music/Spanish, Art, Computer and Science. The parish hall has now been expanded and we now have activities in this wonderful large room.